Please visit our Welcome page to learn about our group.

The John F. Kennedy Memorial

Door at the Air Forces Memorial

Fairhaven Lodges

Fairhaven Lodges

TheMagna Carta Monument


The Magna Carta Monument

The pagoda at Runnymede

The Magna Carta Monument was designed by English architect Sir Edward Maufe and was erected in 1957 by the American Bar Association. It is a rotunda in neo-classical style and is impressively floodlit at night.

Lutyens designed the two octagonal kiosks and the Fairhaven Memorial Lodges with adjacent piers. The lodges show typical Lutyens design features with steeply angled roofs, large false chimneys and no rainwater gutters at the eves. The memorials were opened in 1932 by the Prince of Wales (Edward VIII) and are Grade II listed.

The Air Forces Memorial sits above Runnymede in Engelfield Green and is dedicated to some 20,456 men and women from the air forces of the British Empire who were lost in air and other operations in World War II..

The John F. Kennedy Memorial is set in a symbolic acre of land donated to the United States of America by Queen Elizabeth II in 1965, this seven tonne block of Portland stone commemorates the life of President John F Kennedy following his tragic assassination. Designed by Sir Geoffrey Jellicoe, it is maintained by the Kennedy Memorial Trust. Runnymede was felt to be the appropriate place due to the signing of the Magna Carta and its links to the American constitution.

Within the borough are other places of historical or conservation interest:

Chertsey Abbey, The Abbey Field, and the Abbey fishponds
Chertsey Bridge over the Thames
Egham historical town
Englefield Green, a conservation area
Hythe, a conservation area
St Annes Hill, of historical significance.